The "proc-d" daemon

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue Nov 16 16:45:11 EST 1999

I recently gave our web manager a list of links to value-added databases we
wanted to add to our website--basic stuff like Infotrac, etc.   I was at
home and dashing out the door when I remembered to do this, so I omitted the
descriptions and just fired off the URLs via email.

Well, several of them were very apparent from their names--e.g. anything
with gale in the name.  But one of them caught her attention.  She has a
Unix background and is new to library settings; she was interested to see
that I had a link pointing to what was apparently a Unix daemon.  She asked
several staff what "proc_d" was, but no one knew.

Finally she showed the email message to one of the reference librarians--who
explained that the mysterious "proc_d" daemon was, in fact, a link to Pro-CD
Phone...

K. G. Schneider
Shenendehowa Public Library, Clifton Park, NY
kgs at bluehighways.com