[WEB4LIB] Re: MS Site not visible with NS 4.61?

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Nov 16 16:24:42 EST 1999

At 09:09 AM 11/15/99 -0800, Dan Kissane wrote:

>I am getting more and more reports of incidences where Netscape will not
>view a site properly to the point where we are considering (more like
>being forced) to switch from Netscape to Explorer as the browser we
>provide on public access computers. My thinking is it has something to do
>with sites being written on Microsoft FrontPage. Any one know the whole
>scoop or reasons for certain sites not being accessible by Netscape
>browsers?

I don't believe that Front Page has anything to do with it as
such.  However, a number of the features of FP98 and FP2K will not view
properly in NS.  Most of these are "bells and whistles" junk like scrolling
marquees, swooping transitions, and so forth, which we probably don't want
on any library pages anyway.  All that I've noticed, however, do degrade in
a reasonable manner and don't lockup NS.

We're switching gradually from NS to IE for these reasons and others.  No
matter what one thinks of MS and their business practices (which I have no
objection to), NS is on the way out, and we might as well accept it and get
on with our jobs.  Our users like IE because of the fact that it opens much
faster.  And, though IE doesn't have Print Preview, that is because it
doesn't need it, as it has a better solution.   Just block the section you
want to print and Print Selection.   No squinting at Print Preview and
trying to figure out which pages the content you want is spread over.

And, NO, I do not want to debate business practices on list, as I don't
believe it is appropriate.  Off list, sure......though it is like much
religious debate....much heat, little light, no minds changed.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165