Cd Launch from Web Browser

Sarah L. Neises sneises at umich.edu
Wed May 26 12:59:13 EDT 1999

I'm new to this list and I would like some help with a launching CD's from
a web browser (we're using Netscape 4.05). We are currently using Carl
Everybody's Menu to provide integrated access to our telnet catalog,
CD-ROMs and web resources. We're moving to a web catalog next December,
and are thinking about getting rid of Carl for a variety of reasons. Most
of our CD's are launched right now through Carl using a UNC address for
each CD that looks something like this:
\\polk1\software\spirs\winspirs.exe i: Each CD is mapped to a different
drive letter. They are not standard paths, e.g.
c:\progra~1\newsba~2\newsbank.exe We are in a Windows 95/Novell Netware
environment. Any pearls of wisdom about the latest and greatest ways to
launch CD's from a browser? I'd even be curious about ways to launch CD's
with "normal" paths. Searched through the archives, but couldn't find what
I was looking for, or maybe I missed it. TIA- Sarah

Sarah Neises
Polk Library
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
neises at uwosh.edu