[WEB4LIB] 'WebSuite Start' Data Load Problem ....

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Mon Mar 1 10:58:12 EST 1999

>Anyone using 'WebSuite Start' have any insights?
>
>We have been using WebSuite Start since July 1997 and it has
>just been great in meeting our needs for our external web site.
>However, we recently went to make an update and now the data will
>no longer display correctly.  I have reloaded the '1987-present'
>data eight times and have the same problem over and over again.
>
>First, all entries in any 'summary' screen appear to have control
>characters at the beginning of each line.  Second, when a record
>is displayed, the record information is not formatted correctly,
>and additional non-record data information appears at the bottom
>of the record.  There is not any problem with the raw tagged ASCII
>text.  It has been checked for control characters.

Could be something else, but we saw it most with either file size, or too many
fields in the same index.  Did you recently add a lot of new data?  We found
that 'big' in WebSuite terms really isn't that big at all, which is one of the
reasons we dumped it.

I also found that If I was doing ANYTHING else on my machine while building
the index files, 80% of the time they'd end up corrupt (and exhibit the
symptoms you describe).  So I'd turn off the screen saver (and everything
else), start the index process and go for coffee.

As for the control characters, they are are part of the index (field
delimiters or something like that) and not your data.  WebSuite gets all
screwed up and displays some random bits from the index files that it
shouldn't.

- Darryl

   Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst    Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
   Consulting & Development                     http://gollum.usask.ca/
   Department of Computing Services                 163 Murray Building
   University of Saskatchewan                              Main Library