'WebSuite Start' Data Load Problem ....

Jim Harold jharold at dec.cdie.org
Mon Mar 1 10:39:35 EST 1999

Good Morning ....

Anyone using 'WebSuite Start' have any insights?

We have been using WebSuite Start since July 1997 and it has just been great in meeting our needs for our external web site.  However, we recently went to make an update and now the data will no longer display correctly.  I have reloaded the '1987-present' data eight times and have the same problem over and over again.

First, all entries in any 'summary' screen appear to have control characters at the beginning of each line.  Second, when a record is displayed, the record information is not formatted correctly, and additional non-record data information appears at the bottom of the record.  There is not any problem with the raw tagged ASCII text.  It has been checked for control characters.

There is one other thing which I should tell you about.  I do know that your program places all the data in a WordPerfect 4.2 file (always thought this was a bit unusual).  Anyway, we had a facility-wide update to Corel WordPerfect Suite 8.  Could there be some sort of problem here?  I wouldn't think you would write a program that would require a certain version of WordPerfect to be in place on a system in order for the program to work correctly while loading.

Also, something else I observed.  If you are in 'explorer', the description for the 'idx' file is now 'QuickFinder Information File'.  I know this used to be just 'idx file'.

I have been in touch with Bestseller, but have not received a solution from them to this problem as of yet.

If you are interested, you can view our site at:

     http://www.dec.org

and look at the WebSuite Start interface search by choosing 'Search'.

We are a clearinghouse operation rather than a library.  However, it is nice to be part of a mailing list community which is back to my roots.  Thanks for your time.

Jim Harold
Knowledgebase Administrator
USAID Development Experience Clearinghouse
1611 N Kent St Ste 200
Arlington VA 22209-2111 USA
jharold at dec.cdie.org
+1 703-351-4006 x109