Using 'Send Page' without having messenger installed?

Edward Spodick, HKUST Library, 2358-6743 lbspodic at ust.hk
Tue Mar 2 22:39:20 EST 1999

I have been asked by my supervisor if there is a reasonably simple way to enable the 'Send Page' option in Netscape Navigator Standalone or Communicator without Messenger.  Basically he wants users to be able to e-mail themselves pages, but not to use these workstations for checking their e-mail (we have a separate lab for that).  I don't think this is possible in the Standalone version - although 3rd-party e-mail packages can be configured to handle 'mailto', I don't think 'send page' can be enabled.

Perhaps this could be done in Communicator with resource editing, possibly coupled with Ikiosk, etc.

But I am trying to see if a *simple* solution can be done - I sometimes tend to overcomplicate things  :)  I would appreciate any advice.  I searched through the Web4Lib archives, but could not find anything directly addressing this.

-Spode
- - - - -
Edward F Spodick, Systems Librarian - lbspodic at ust.hk
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Library
tel:  852-2358-6743    fax:  852-2358-1043