[WEB4LIB] Re: PCP technology

Tim Tripp ttripp at inforamp.net
Tue Mar 2 21:43:39 EST 1999

Dan Lester wrote:

> However, I don't see what is "new technology".  I do notice in
> the source that there pages with .phtml extensions, as well as references
> to "vu"s in the URL as well.  It sounds like an interesting software
> package, but I'm not sure what is much different than using shared borders,
> common footers, or similar devices in other web software.

My recent introduction to phtml was from a friend who works in the web design
business for an "adult entertainment" content provider.  Of course, my first thought
was that the "p" was for "pornographic."

After seeing reference to it being used in a library site, however, I did a bit of
digging.  Turns out "phtml" is an embedded acronym - the "p" seems to stand for "PHP"
which originally stood for Personal Home Page - referring to a scripting language
analogous to Microsoft's Active Server Pages.

>From the info page at http://www.devshed.com/resource/advanced/php/phpinfo.phtml :

> If you feel like your hands are tied by static HTML pages,
> clunky CGI scripts, and unpredictable client-side
> (javascript/vbscript) scripting, take a look at PHP. You'll wonder
> how you lived without it. In '98 you will see PHP being
> compared to Microsoft's Active Server Pages, and coming out
> ahead in many areas.

And apparently it's free.

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Tripp, Librarian
Spar Aerospace Ltd.
Work: ttripp at spar.ca
Home: ttripp at inforamp.net
### I saw two shooting stars last night,
### I wished on them, but they were only satellites...
### Is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
                          - Billy Bragg