Pentium II or Celeron or ...

Olga Verbeek verbeeko at salve5.salve.edu
Fri Jun 18 10:56:11 EDT 1999

Hi,

We are a III library getting ready to move up to their Millennium
products. III's advice for their circ. and serial modules is a PC with a
Pentium II (133 MHZ or better >300 MHz) chip and 64 Mbytes of main memory.
Instead of the Pentium II, how about the Celeron chip or some other chip
on the market. Usually they are more reasonably priced than the Pentium
II. Both the Pentium and the Celeron use the P6 architecture. Mostly I
guess I am after performance, which combinations give "equal" performance?
where are the trade-offs? etc.

Anyone have any comments or advice?

--Olga

Olga Verbeek                        email: verbeeko at salve.edu
Information Systems Librarian         tel: (401) 847-6650 ext 2281
McKillop Library                      fax: (401) 846-8126
Salve Regina University               web: http://library.salve.edu
Newport RI 02840