[WEB4LIB] Pentium II or Celeron or ...

Gary E. Masters GMASTERS at TAMIU.EDU
Fri Jun 18 12:45:24 EDT 1999

We are using Dell computers with the Celeron chip and they seem to be fine
for reference and Internet use.  I don't know about more intensive uses.
We have ordered about 20 more.  We are going for 128 Mbytes.

I have not run benchmarks, but they seem to be about the same as a Pentium
in the 3 to400 range.

Regards,

Gary Masters

At 07:57 AM 6/18/99 -0700, Olga Verbeek wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We are a III library getting ready to move up to their Millennium
>products. III's advice for their circ. and serial modules is a PC with a
>Pentium II (133 MHZ or better >300 MHz) chip and 64 Mbytes of main memory.
>Instead of the Pentium II, how about the Celeron chip or some other chip
>on the market. Usually they are more reasonably priced than the Pentium
>II. Both the Pentium and the Celeron use the P6 architecture. Mostly I
>guess I am after performance, which combinations give "equal" performance?
>where are the trade-offs? etc.
>
>Anyone have any comments or advice?
>
>--Olga

>Olga Verbeek                        email: verbeeko at salve.edu
>Information Systems Librarian         tel: (401) 847-6650 ext 2281
>McKillop Library                      fax: (401) 846-8126
>Salve Regina University               web: http://library.salve.edu
>Newport RI 02840

Gary E. Masters
Automated Services Librarian