[WEB4LIB] Updating to win98 and problems with video card: thanks

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Fri Jun 11 09:41:51 EDT 1999

Francesco Giacanelli wrote:

> Dear Web4libbers,
>
> thanks to all who have answered to my msg regarding updating problems with win98: I have now updated 3 PCs of our small LAN, experiencing some problems - I think - with Norton Antivirus (we have vers. 2.0) and the shut down of the PCs (I have just disabled one feature of the Norton and they seem to function properly).
>
> Any suggestion for other antivirus program? Or do you suggest to upgrade to a newer version of the same NAV?

I've been very pleased with Command Software Anti Virus [CSAV] for
Windows 95, 98, and NT.  This is the US distribution of F-Prot from
Finland.  There is a Novell version and they are now in progress of also
working on a Linux version.  I switched from McAffee AV to F-Prot 3 or 4
years ago when these two and IBM Anti Virus could detect a virus but
only F-Prot would remove it.  F-Prot did not have a specific fix for
that virus as the other two didn't either but did remove it with a
generic fix for MBR viruses.  Since I've used CSAV, there has been only
one or two viruses detected in the past two years that I am aware of and
they were on floppies not the HD.  All of my public PCs are set up to
detect any viruses from floppy before allowing access and will remove
any viruses if detected.  I also am using their update server program
which FTPs the newest virus list daily from their site to mine and all
of the clients are updated when the PC logs in to the network.  The
update server is a free program and you can set individual preferences
for each machine that updates from this program.  The license cost has
also been half or less than that of McAffee which the main campus uses
here at ASU.  If I recall correctly, the licensing has been about $1 or
$2 per machine.  I use CSAV on Windows 95, 98, and Intel NT Server, no
Alpha NT server version available.  Their technical support has been
very helpful when I call on them.  A couple of times CSAV indicated that
there may be a virus when a "suspicious" file was found and the CSAV
tech support was quick to help analyze this.  Their URL is:

http://www.commandcom.com

A sales contact there is Vicky Poulin   vpoulin at command.com  or
vpoulin at commandcom.com

Disclaimer: I receive no commission or discount from any sales resulting
from this contact.

Thomas

> In a previous msg. I reported an error occurring in visualizing some HTML pages with MSIE 4.0: the background looked like to cover the text of the page. The problem appeared also with MSIE 5.0. I have now just upgrade the driver of our ATI Rage video card and all seems to function.
> I have reported this in the hope to be of some help to which eventually facing the same problems.
>
> Thanks to all for the advice
> Regards
> Francesco Giacanelli
>
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
> Francesco Giacanelli
> Biblioteca Italiana per i Ciechi - Centro di Documentazione Tiflologica
> (Italian Library for the Blind - Documentation Center on Blindness)
> Via della Fontanella di Borghese, 23 - 00186 Roma, Italy
> Tel.: +39 06 68219820
> Fax: +39 06 68136227
> e-mail: cdtinfo at bibciechi.it
> private e-mail: md1251 at mclink.it

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  828 262 6587			FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine