[WEB4LIB] Submitting websites to search engines

Danny Sullivan danny at calafia.com
Tue Jan 5 18:55:57 EST 1999

> Clearly they has found the new site, as evidenced by the date, but it is
> still quoting the old url. Infoseek had a similar result, with a slightly
> later date. Maybe there is some procedure that should be carried out at
> our end?? Should I allow more time??

You didn't say if you actually submitted the URL of your new site. If
you didn't, AltaVista and the others may not find it immediately. You
should submit it via the various Add URL pages immediately.

Also, your old site will also continue to be listed unless you remove it
from your server or block search engines with a robots.txt file. Ideally,
you should redirect traffic from the old site to the new site.

FYI, your new site is listed with AltaVista. Just do this:
url:opus.co.nz

and you'll see your pages. The reason you don't find them when you
search for "opus international consultants" is because so many pages
from your old site are relevant for that term that you push your new
pages down.

You are also listed at Infoseek. The same url: command works there,
but in your case, it is better to do site:opus.co.nz in order to filter out
pages from another site with a similar URL.

You and others can find more info at my site,
http://searchenginewatch.com/

cheers,
danny