Submitting websites to search engines

Dianna M Roberts dianna.roberts at opus.co.nz
Tue Jan 5 14:33:17 EST 1999

I'm interested in hearing about how other people have fared in submitting or
resubmitting urls to the major search engines and directories.

Four weeks ago, on 16 December, we relaunched our website
http://www.opus.co.nz/ , and I realise that the holidays have intervened,
but when I search for "opus international consultants" on AltaVista,
Infoseek, Hotbot, Lycos and Yahoo it is still not coming up. In some
instances the search results include an earlier url http://www.wcs.co.nz/
created before the company changed its name from Works Consultancy Services,
although all search engines were advised of the change in April 1997.

Even more curious is this response from the search on AltaVista:

>>1. Opus International Consultants Home Page
New Zealand's largest integrated architectural, engineering, planning,
facilities management and property consultancy
Last modified 16-Dec-98 - page size 9K - in English

Clearly they has found the new site, as evidenced by the date, but it is
still quoting the old url. Infoseek had a similar result, with a slightly
later date. Maybe there is some procedure that should be carried out at our
end?? Should I allow more time??

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

Thanks,
Dianna Roberts