NT, WinU, Password protection and Win95

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Tue Feb 9 10:05:55 EST 1999

>think it will address this particular problem.  From the explanation, the
>machines that are being used -- with upgrades -- are not good candidates
for a
>migration to NT -- and just speculating, but I'm guessing there are not
the $$$
>available to make such a move.

Aye, they aren't the greatest candidates for a migration.  We're working on
it, replacing mother boards and adding memory as monies allow.  But many of
our hard drives are very small, around 400 MB, and the higher the OS
upgrade, the more disk space gets eaten up, and I still need to add in
Passport, Word or WordPerfect suites, etc.

>What David needs to explore are some third-party solutions that will lock
down
>the hard-drive and the desktop on Win95.  I really like WinU

We are using WinU on the public work stations, and have been rather pleased
with the results to date.  But it's not the greatest solution for a staff
person's computer.  I need to prevent an "unauthorized" user from accessing
any of the programs on the staff person's computer, especially the
Internet: many of the staff need access, so if I used Win U, I would have
to have a menu item pointing to the Internet, and while WinU would prevent
the unauthorized user from poking around the files and directories of the
computer, they still would be able to access the Internet.  It would help
prevent them from trying to cover their tracks (if they surf for porn, they
wouldn't be able to get rid of the proof...), and from doing other damage.
So I guess it could be a solution of sorts after all.

TTFN,
David
Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University
   http://www.latech.edu/tech/library/
javascript list administrator:
   http://www.mountaindragon.com/javascript