[WEB4LIB] NT, WinU, Password protection and Win95

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Feb 9 10:58:08 EST 1999

Do these workstations need to be accessible to these students??  If not, the
easiest way to lock them down is at the CMOS.  Require a password to boot the
machine, give each staff this password and require them to swear upon
punishment of torture and wet-noodle lashing that they won't give this password
to anyone.  See Monica King's excellent article at:

http://www.leeric.lsu.edu/lla/1998_conference/workstation/

for more details.  If these students do need to have access to a program or two
on these machines, I think WinU will allow you to create different desktops and
I also believe you can password protect them so that the students won't be able
to access the staff desktop.  Frankly, I think that route is overkill.  The
better route is to string-up by the thumbs the first one you catch as an
example to the others -- that will teach 'em!
;).

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library