Windows NT Utilities

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Tue Dec 21 13:14:03 EST 1999

>Albany Public Library is relatively new to NT Server 4.0.  We're looking
>for some recommendations for basic NT disk utilities.  NT itself does
>not come with a defrag utility, though I've been told that the available
>utilities do not really defrag the drive anyway.

We used to order Norton Utilities for all our NT machines.  We no longer do
this for the public PCs because it seemed unnecessary.  File recovery is not an
issue because most of them won't allow saves anyway, and for the infrequent
problems we usually reinstall anyway, so fragmentation isn't really a problem.

There is also the fact that we seem to be upgrading our browsers a couple of
times a year, so even PCs which aren't having problems are wiped clean
periodically.

We do still install Norton on staff PCs, and they are defragged occasionally.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org