[WEB4LIB] RE: BlackICE software

Kim Lord kimlord at suffield-library.org
Tue Dec 21 13:08:02 EST 1999

>This is from http://www.grc.com/su-firewalls.htm at the bottom of the page.
>You'll also find a link to his "Shields Up!" home page there, where you can
>have your ports scanned etc. (I think it was mentioned on this list a few
>weeks ago).

Hi all,

Actually I had mentioned this Shieldsup utility on this list a few weeks
ago.  (Realized later that the link to the article I mentioned was no
longer working.)  Being largely self taught myself and dependent on
volunteer computer consultants, we put a large emphasize on securing
workstations from potential hackers that are sitting in front of the
machine.  This web site (grc.com) and the shieldsup scanner was quite an
education in security, or lack there of, from the outside.  What I was
pleased with is Mr. Gibson seems to have put quite alot of effort into
explanation and easy to follow instructions on how to fix some of the
security holes.

I would suggest taking a look at this site and running shieldsup, even if
you think you probably don't have any security issues.  We are part of a
larger consortium and and where very surprised at the volume of information
that shieldsup was able to get off of our workstations.
Needless to say, we are now in the market for a firewall.

Kim Lord
Kent Library
Suffield CT

kimlord at suffield-library.org