Cable Internet Access

Barbara Brattin bbrattin at wnpl.alibrary.com
Thu Apr 29 10:27:12 EDT 1999

We are finally moving to a web based integrated library system, and are now
faced with moving up to a T-1 line for our telecommunications. Needless to
say, this is quite an expensive proposition, even with the e-rate discount.
 I have heard how fast cable internet access is, however, I have also heard
that it is much more unreliable than using a T-1 line. Are any of you using
cable for internet access? We have been told cable access is free for
public libraries, but what are they not telling us? Besides a cable modem,
what different equipment will I need to purchase? Does "free" mean one IP
address, or can I connect as many pc's as I want to simultaneously? Thanks
for your help.
Barb Brattin