[WEB4LIB] HP LaserJet 6L problem

Kevin Justie kjustie at nslsilus.ORG
Thu Apr 29 11:18:52 EDT 1999

> We have a chronic problem with several HP LaserJet 6L printers attached
> locally to our web-based opacs.  A print job goes to the print job box
> and shows the status of printing, but never prints.  I have reloaded
> drivers, disables all security on the systems, and looked for any
> possible reasons for the problem, but I can't figure it out.  Patrons
> are loosing hard work because the computer then needs rebooted to
> 'unstick' the printer queue.  Most times, the print job is then lost.
> Anyone else having this problem with the 6Ls?  Any remedies?

Not a solution really, but at least a little more information:  We have what
appears to be the same problem on an HP 6P serving two Win95 PCs and on an
HP 4000 serving three Win95 PCs (all PCs are for Web browsing only).  In our
case, users generally haven't lost any work because only the problematic
print job disappears in a reboot; all other jobs, including the second and
third time the user tried to print the same thing before asking for help,
are still in the queue and do print.

Both of these printers are connected to their PCs via Intel NetportExpress
print servers (two different models).  The non-printing problem was
*greatly* reduced (from a couple times a week to once every few months),
though not eliminated, by setting the port speed to "high" on the print
servers, even though the manual didn't call for the high setting for these
printers.  To the best of my knowledge, we have *not* experienced this
problem on a second 6P that's connected only to a single Win95 PC (which,
btw, is not used for any Internet work).

Kevin Justie
Assistant Director, Head of Technical & Automated Services
Morton Grove Public Library, Morton Grove, IL
(847) 965-4220
kjustie at mgk.nslsilus.org
http://www.webrary.org/
Opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
official Library policy.

***   "The box said Windows 95 or better,...So I bought a Mac."   ***