[WEB4LIB] milk in the back

Don Yarman yarmando at netra.clc.lib.oh.us
Thu Apr 22 13:53:21 EDT 1999

Tami-Jo Eckley wrote:

> I don't know about milk in the back but one thing I do believe is that
> stores including barnes & noble know how to stock the FRONT of the stores...

Barnes & Noble -- and Borders and many independents and some
libraries -- ~do~ put the "milk in the back":  take a look
at where their children's sections are.  People who come in
to find children's books, just like people going into the
grocery store to find milk or bread, will go whereever
they need to to get what they want.

Is the remote placement of children's literature marketing
or marginalization?  (Discuss amongst yourselves).

An ex-children's-librarian-turned-technology-guy, I
remain a champion of Youth Services and your most obedient
servant,

                         Don Yarman
                         Grandview Hts Public Library
                         yarmando at clc.lib.oh.us