netmeeting for remote reference

Karin Smith kasmith at csu.edu.au
Thu Apr 22 03:19:15 EDT 1999

A week ago I put a message on Web4Lib calling for interest in this
topic to organise a discussion group/working group. I got quite a
bit of interest but I didn't think of the fact that I don't actually
have a listserv at my disposal(!) so I am throwing the discussion
back to this list. I would be happy to receive personal emails on
this topic though.

A few people asked what netmeeting is so I will explain it as I have
used it. It is free to download from microsoft and doesn't especially
require a camera but if you have one you can have the ability to see
the person at the other end. The thing I find good about  it is that
it allows you and the person at the other end to take control of each
other's computers. I see it being useful for showing someone how to
do a database search, for example. It also has a whiteboard facility
to write comments and explanations. Also has chat.
The next question for me is what to do now regarding this whole
issue..
 I will explain what we are planning to do. We have a campus
about 3 hours away and it is well resourced with computers but not so
much with people. It is used as a place for local distance education
students to come in and study online. The library online is part of
this. We are hoping to set up something with a learning skills
advisor for training and other communication. I am hoping this also
allows for communication with students who come in to use library
resources.
Of course we have come up against our first problem. Bandwidth - not
current availability but what if everyone uses it?????
That is a discrete project that we are going to apply for funding for
and go through the project type channels. I will keep web4lib posted
about how that is going.
I don't want to lose my visionwhich is to have something that our
students can click on to get real time library help. (I say that
because projects can get lost in their own definitions!)
I also should say that in my library management
structure I am about half way up. I have almost no clout to make big
things happen - I just make a lot of noise!!!
Thanks
Karin

Karin Smith
Information Services Librarian