[browsers using ISDN lines when idle]

Peter Murray pem at po.cwru.edu
Tue Sep 29 17:19:40 EDT 1998

I cannot imagine an idle browser would tie up network resources while it is
just sitting there.  Well, there are ways, but they are very rarely used.
For instance, a web page could use a meta-refresh tag to update itself
constantly (as in a HTML-based chat system).  There was also a bug in a
beta version of Netscape 2 where animated GIFs were reloaded from the
server for ever iteration, but that hasn't been seen in a while.

Peter

--On Tue, Sep 29, 1998 4:56 AM -0700 Stephanie John <johnste at PILOT.MSU.EDU>

Peter Murray, Library Systems Manager                    pem at po.cwru.edu
Digital Media Services                 http://www.cwru.edu/home/pem.html
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio          W:216-368-5888