Drake Equation for the web

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue Sep 29 08:18:35 EDT 1998

This is very amusing.  However, a couple of questions.  Are all of these
factors multiplied (e.g. are you using x for * )? Also, I agree with the
general principle that the Internet is an info-trash-barge with some good
gleanings to be found by determined dumpster-divers.  But surely not all
good information is well-designed or even accurate (after all, a book on
creationism is "good" if it contributes to a broadening of access to
viewpoints), and the definitions of  quality and utility are wide open to
interpretation.  Furthermore, in libraries we have used "cataloging" very
narrowly, and primarily with reference to one paper-based format (otherwise
known as "the book").  You don't catalog all magazine articles housed or
transmitted into your library, for example--you rely on other tools for
this access.  So "the catalog" proper is only representative of a certain
type or level of access to a certain type of data.  The concept of what is
"worth cataloging" may not port well to the Internet; the mechanism itself
may be the problem--that we still think in terms of creating a finding aid
structured like a library catalog, when that model may not apply or be
feasible to a different information environment. Anyway, this is a fun
issue to tussle with :-)

Karen G. Schneider |  kgs at bluehighways.com http://www.bluehighways.com
Author: A Practical Guide to Internet Filters, Neal Schuman, 1997
Director, Garfield Library of Brunswick, NY  garfield at crisny.org