Firewall/Filter software for NT4

Michael Tibor tibor at lib.uaa.alaska.edu
Wed Oct 7 18:04:27 EDT 1998

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998 jbfink at ogre.lib.muohio.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Dan Lester wrote:
>
> > Help, please.  In the last month or two I saw a new product announcement
> > for a software package that works as a proxy server/firewall/filter system
> > for businesses or other organizations.  It ran on NT4 and cost $299.  Well,
> > I clipped the announcement and then promptly lost it.
> >
> > Now, of course, I need the information on this product, or something
> > similar (NT4, relatively cheap, etc.)
>
> I know this probably doesn't help, but if you were willing to ditch NT4
> you could do proxying (with Squid) and firewalling (with ipfwadm) on a
> Linux machine for $0.

I agree wholeheartedly--Linux/Squid would be infinitely more flexible,
and could be used in the above situation on a modest 486.

We've been running a Red Hat Linux/Squid caching proxy for over a year
now with excellent results.  Perhaps one of the biggest advantages in
my mind is that we can do this on a machine that already does quite a
few things.  If we went the NT route we'd have had to purchase another
server.

Mike
--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
LAN Technician     Consortium Library             (907) 786-6050 fax