03.04.98 English to Spanish

susan larsson slarsson at ncia.com
Thu Mar 5 06:55:00 EST 1998

>> > check
>> >
>> > http://www.networx.on.ca/~jwalker
>> >
>> > Translations English, Spanish, French, Italian etc.
>>
>> Or AltaVista's famed babelfish, as featured on NPR and elsewhere:
>> http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com
>>
>> It's free.  Translates a lot.  It's great.  'nuff said.

It depends on your goal. If you want someone to have an idea of what is on
your page, and perhaps a good giggle that will make them remember it, by
all means - use alta vista's babelfish. In many/most cases, the basic idea
is understandable, particularly with some understanding of the source
language. But if your purpose is communication on a professional level, it
is hard to avoid the human interface (i.e., a translator).

If you would like to test out babelfish, enter a sentence or two, translate
through a couple of language pairs, and then back to English - see what you
get. It is always entertaining...

susan (who is glad that npr said translators would be able to keep their
day jobs for a few decades to come while the machines were developed...)
--
Susan Larsson
Swedish to English        Medical - Business - Technical
LaConner WA USA       E-mail slarsson at ncia.com
Member Swedish Association of Professional Translators