Limiting number of pages printed

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Mon Mar 9 23:41:19 EST 1998

Hi.  I've checked the archives and if what I need is there, I didn't find it.

We're running NS3 and NS4 on Win95 on a bunch of public terminals.
Printing is to networked 5si LaserJets from HP.  What I need is some way of
limiting the number of pages that people may print.  For example, I'd like
them to be able to print five pages from a given session.  If the document
is fifteen pages it would just print five and put a message on the screen
that I could define or customize.

I know how to block printing, and have even run across print-charging
software that will give the first n pages free, and all after that costing
x cents a page.  But I want to make the first pages free and the later ones
impossible to print.

And, I'm not overly interested in a debate on why this is a bad idea.  It
isn't my idea, but the one I'm charged with implementing if possible.

Clues?   Or really GOOD arguments why the whole thing is stupid?

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  (check out our 1997 holiday letter)