Library Subject and Organization Systems as Ontologies

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Wed Jun 3 13:34:59 EDT 1998

Library Subject and Organizational Systems
                 as Ontologies

   In preparation for a presentation and paper, I am greatly interested in learning about any and all
research that views and analyzes established Library
Classification Systems (e.g L of Congress Classification, Dewey, Colon, etc.) as Ontologies.

     I am also interested in any work that views
Controlled Vocabularies as Ontologies, specifically
in application as Index Terms or Descriptors, and in a formal Thesaurus structures. I am particulary interested in efforts that conceptualize Cross Reference (BT, NT, RT) structures in Online Systems
as Ontologies.

    For background information about Ontology, I strongly recommend the MIKROKOSMOS ONTOLOGY resource
page as well as its major links, at:

http://crl.nmsu.edu/Research/Projects/mikro/htmls/ontology-htmls/onto.index.html

   As Always, Any and All citations, sources, contributions, critiques, questions, concerns,
comments, or queries are Most Welcome!

   Joy!

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/

"The Best Way to Predict the Future is To Invent It!"
        Attributed to Peter Drucker