Geocities javascript branding

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Wed Jul 1 09:38:03 EDT 1998

     This is just another reason to move your Geocities sites to another
     provider, which I'm currently doing. Geocities' callous disregard for
     aesthetic free speech concerns is getting to be annoying. If you
     really look at what they are doing, it is apparent that they are
     wrapping the Javascript logo brand around http requests. If you look
     at the actual code for the page in the editor, the javascript is not
     there. I believe their scheme also substitutes a graphic based on what
     color you have set for the page background.

     In it's fashion, the new scheme is less obtrusive than previous
     requirements, but the suddeness of these changes sucks.

     I would also like to point out that recent "reports" that purport to
     rate the popularity of web sites consistently mislead about the
     popularity of Geocities.com. Almost all of the content at Geocities is
     created by it's "members," so in reality Geocities should be treated
     as an ISP with several thousands of web sites. AOL is an ISP too, but
     at least it does provide some content not provided by its users.

     It really bugs me to see Geocities get credit for work that I have
     done, as well as the work of hundreds of thousands of other DIY
     webmasters.

     Chuck0