Geocities branding/Free Web sites

John T. Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Wed Jul 1 15:24:13 EDT 1998

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, CMUNSON wrote:

>      This is just another reason to move your Geocities sites to another
>      provider, which I'm currently doing. Geocities' callous disregard for
>      aesthetic free speech concerns is getting to be annoying. If you
>      really look at what they are doing, it is apparent that they are
>      wrapping the Javascript logo brand around http requests. If you look
>      at the actual code for the page in the editor, the javascript is not
>      there. I believe their scheme also substitutes a graphic based on what
>      color you have set for the page background.
>
>      In it's fashion, the new scheme is less obtrusive than previous
>      requirements, but the suddeness of these changes sucks.

Well, stop me if I'm wrong, but you are getting this service for _free_,
and you knew up front that they would have the ads & popups (annoying
though they are).  Are there any other free web-site providers?  I know
there are a number of free e-mail places, but web site, too?  And are
there any online listings of these providers?

For my $.02, I think the branding is no more annoying than the same thing
that most TV stations are doing now (Comedy Central jumps to mind, but I
know there are others), and is better to me than those *&$% popup windows.

John

   John Thomas Benedetto, User Support Analyst II       jbenedet at unm.edu
   Centennial Science & Engineering Library,               (505)277-2598
   University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM  87131-1466