Geocities javascript branding

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jul 1 07:54:21 EDT 1998

Jerry Kuntz writes:

> ..I see where Geocities has apparently moved away from the extremely
> annoying pop-up browser Window ad attached to all their sites and is now
> using a javascript "branding". See:
> http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Atrium/1437/
> The branding always floats to the lower left of the browser screen, and
> appears much like a cable channel logo.
> I wonder if floating "brands" like this could be integrated into a
> navigational scheme.

Someone might want to point out that the script involved has no effect on
my copies of Internet Explorer 5 and Opera 3.21 (even if for some reason I
enable Javascript, which I frequently do not).  Perhaps a scripting whiz
could say whether the same thing is do-able in ECMAscript or whatever the
common subset of all the "Javascript" implementations is.  Then you can
start the job of finding out from your users whether it's a help or an
annoyance.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu