Helping public library patrons with telnet

Sherie Brown brownsh at oplin.lib.oh.us
Wed Feb 4 15:06:00 EST 1998

I have been watching posts on this list for months, and find you all so
able and willing to help each other, I'm hoping someone who's "been there"
already can give me a hand.

Our online catalog just became accessible through our website, and patrons
are calling for help because they don't have telnet on their home PC, or
have managed to download telnet but haven't configured their browser to
find it, or are using AOL and can't find telnet, etc etc.

Have any of you developed a simple tutorial for these people, or links to
them?  I have seen some that I find understandable, but imagine you have
never heard the term "telnet" and don't know what I mean by "browser
options?"  We do not have a Sys Op, and  these questions
come to the Reference Desk.  Just how much "tech support" do we give and
have time to help other patrons?  Yet, we want these people to be able to
access the catalog without frustration.

I'm sure some of you crossed this hurdle years ago...help!