Securing a PC [afterthought]

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Tue Dec 29 10:16:17 EST 1998

I thought of something else I should have mentioned...

I wrote:

>We have found Office 97 to be pretty well-behaved under tight security.  Word-
>Perfect Suite 7 was a little cranky; I had to unlock a couple of obscure files
>so it would print.

If you're using software which is preconfigured to handle Office or whatever,
you're all set.  If you're not - using regular NT security or one of the third-
party programs - then you'll need to be come acquainted with the Event Viewer.
(I don't know if there is an equivalent for Win95/98.)

It is useful for smaller problems (like my WordPerfect printing) or larger ones
(Ebsco's Magazine Article Summaries wouldn't run at all).  You can turn on
auditing and see all failed attempts to access a file or directory, which helps
narrow down which files need to be open.  The vendor may blithely say that
everyone needs read/write access to their program directory, or the system
directory, or something similarly unacceptable.  By doing a failure audit, I
was able to determine the six executable files which MAS *really* needed in
order to run, and lock up everything else.

Just to make sure this is relevant for Web4Lib: ;-) I used it to tweak my IE4
security also.  (Almost the same as IE3, but needed access to another file.)

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org