Securing a PC

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Tue Dec 29 10:00:01 EST 1998

>IKIOSK
>allowed for securing of individual programs including saving features,
>so MS Office shouldn't be a problem at all.  I loved both products and
>in the few years we used them, we had no trouble whatsoever.

The Microsoft Knowledge Base contains an article called "OFF97: Security
Requirements When Using NTFS Partitions."  That's Q169387 if you're familiar
with the MSKB, or

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q169/3/87.asp?FR=0

if you're not.  (You may have to register at their site to access the article.)
Although it is aimed at users of Windows NT who are configuring NTFS security,
the list of files which need read/write access is relevant to anyone trying to
set up a security program.

We have found Office 97 to be pretty well-behaved under tight security.  Word-
Perfect Suite 7 was a little cranky; I had to unlock a couple of obscure files
so it would print.

N.B. You may have additional requirements such as redirecting saves to a folder
you have specified; Word and Excel are pretty easy to set.  MS Works, on the
other hand, is a major pain, but that's another story.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org