[WEB4LIB] networked printer

James Klock j-klock at evanston.lib.il.us
Wed Dec 23 11:08:45 EST 1998

What you probably want, if you're really only supporting these six
stations, four of which are restricted to PAC usage, is what is commonly
called a "workgroup" printer.  Hewlett Packard's LaserJet 4000N is an
excellent example, which comes with a network card factory installed (the
4000 series has several varients, each of which is just a LJ 4000 with one
or more of the optional accessories factory-installed).  If you're already
using laser printers from another manufacturer (Lexmark, Panasonic, Xerox,
whoever) in your installation, you might consider one of that
manufacturer's products.

There are those who will tell you that you should want an HP LaserJet 8000,
which is currently HP's top-end printer.  Frankly, it's overpowered for
your current needs.  Unless you see your network printer usage increasing
twofold (which doesn't neccesarily mean more workstations: if you were to
start offering full Internet access on all six OPAC machines, that would be
about a twofold increase on the printer) I'd stick with a 4000 series.

Any networked laser printer you buy today should be highly configurable
using network-based software, which will allow you to configure the printer
fully from any machine on your network (well, any machine with the right
software installed on it).