Setting Up a Web Site

Carol Ritzenthaler carol at ohionet.org
Sun Apr 26 09:47:10 EDT 1998

Hello All -

I am working on an article that will focus on planning, designing and
maintaining a web site and thought this group might be interested in
sharing expertise in this area. I'm approaching the article from the
point-of-view of someone who may be a bit overwhelmed having been
assigned the responsibility of setting up a web site, and needs to make
decisions on the logistics of this undertaking.

If interested, questions addressing these issues follow below this message.
Please reply to me directly,

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Carol

Carol L. Ritzenthaler, M.Ed, MLS	phone: 	614-486-2966 ext.23
OHIONET				 	1-800-686-8975 (OH,PA,MI,& WV)

1. If your school/library/business has a web site, please identify the URL.

2. What type of information is or will be included on your web site?

3. Is the web development effort a group effort? If so, how many staff
are involved?

4. What is the role of the technology coordinator in this project?

5. Did your school/library/business hire consultants? If yes, what was their
role in the project, i.e. set up the server, web page construction, training?

6. Are students assisting with html? If yes, is this assigned as an
independent project, group work, etc.?

7. Who has or will have responsibility for maintaining and updating the
html files for the web site after it's up and running?

8. What type of Internet connection is used? i.e. 56K, T1, T3 etc.

9. On the server side, what is the processor speed?

10. How much memory does the server have?

11. Can you estimate how long it took to set up the server and get the
web site up?

12. Can you estimate start up costs for the hardware, hiring a
consultant and training, etc?

13. Can you share any words of wisdom for those who have not yet set up a
web site?

14. Please identify your name/position title and the name of the school,
library or company that you are with.

15. Do I have your permission to quote any of the information you have
provided for my publication and include your name/school/library/company?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!