counting Internet use

Youngpdy at aol.com Youngpdy at aol.com
Sun Sep 28 09:30:17 EDT 1997

In a message dated 97-09-18 00:34:23 EDT, dwinells at vmsb.csd.mu.edu (Sheryl
Dwinell) writes:

<< Over 800 people a month
 >are using our web site, instead of their "hometown" (or college or
business)
 >library...why? And what do we do about what we learn from this? </soapbox>

 When you say 'instead' of, what evidence do you have?  Maybe I'm
 misinterpreting your statement >>

Sheryl, you're missing the point, or you choose not to recognize it. Sara was
making a valid statement, regardless of how one tallies the info hits, that
people are not being effectively served by all that's available locally.
Technology has made it too easy not to get what one really needs.

When a patron can stand at a terminal and request a hold or an ILL, etc. and
never approach a staff person to gain assistance in obtaining all the
information that exists in the library on their subject...When a person can
dial in to ask someone in another county, state, country for information that
is available in their own backyard...When AOL can advertise a smiling little
boy announcing to his dad that he did his dinosaur report without ever having
to go to the library (does that one make you gag?...it sure does me!)... Then
we are not doing our job.

Is it because we are too accustomed to people coming to us instead of us
being extrememly more proactive about going out to them? Is it marketing and
PR? Is it a totally new mindset we must assume in providing
library/information services? All of the above...? Other...?

Maybe we can collectively come up with suggestions on how to proceed and turn
this around. Since I opened my mouth and stuck my neck out here, I would be
willing to accept all recommendations and post the results. I've had
experience with public, special and academic libraries over the years, and
it's a problem that effects all patrons in all settings over all decades...

Patricia Young
Director Of Learning Resources
Seminole Community College