Mouseover

Robert J Tiess rjtiess at juno.com
Wed Oct 8 06:51:00 EDT 1997

>I have used the MouseOver event to describe the contents of the links
and their usefullness to
>our researchers: run your cursor over the links on the page and look to
the status box on the
>bottom of the browser...its the only use of  jscript that I have found
to be useful as well as
>unobtrusive to the user...
>
>Hope this helps....
>John Kaminski
>Brookings Institution

Yes, the mouseover event and also the onLoad (defaultstatus='') feature
is a
nice, subtle way of incorporating JavaScript into a web page.  And such a
page
generally loads in non-JS browsers (like Lynx--my main concern) without
a problem.  And, as you point out, it's unobtrusive.  I would go as far
as
saying the mouseover feature is probably one of the fastest, easiest,
and most useful of JS functions, as it can be used to further annotate a
textual
link or explain the potential results of clicking on a graphical link.

RJT