Yahoo, LII, etc.

Carole Leita leita at netcom.com
Thu Nov 20 11:47:57 EST 1997

What a timely discussion! Thanks to Chuck Munson for bringing up the topic
of comprehensive subject guides to the Internet and to several others for
mentioning the Librarians' Index to the Internet (LII).

As original developer of the LII (from my Gopher bookmark list to the
Berkeley Public Library Index to the Internet to the LII) and now
coordinator of a project (funded through the California State Library with
LSTA monies) to expand it, it's time to talk a little about what's coming
for the Index.

Over the next year we will be expanding the team of librarians contributing
to the Index, building from a base of interested librarians in California.
We will be working on several things: a manual for the indexers, training
workshops, further development of the indexing and searching abilities of
the database, and expansion of the Index contents. The basic idea is to see
if librarians can produce AND maintain a directory of Internet resources
consistently useful to public library information seekers. We will also be
looking at the financial implications of managing such an effort. Finally,
if our efforts over the next several months are successful, we will be
looking at the possibility of recruiting indexers from outside California.

Carole

Carole Leita, cleita at webjunction.org
Coordinator, Librarians' Index to the Internet
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/InternetIndex/