Yahoo, LII, etc.

Bess Moffitt moffitt at sfuhs.pvt.k12.ca.us
Thu Nov 20 17:01:39 EST 1997

I am a fan of the Librarians' Index to the Internet
<http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/InternetIndex/> I use it *very* frequently
when compiling "webliographies" for particular topics. Often teachers want
to bring students to the library to do topical searches and give us a day's
notice. The pre-screeened sites also help me save time.

The LII has a miniscule number of dead links. When I have encountered a
dead link, I e-mail Carole Leita. She has always replied within one day
with a correction and thanks.

Bess Moffitt

*****************************
At 11:33 AM 11/20/97 -0800, you wrote:
>What a timely discussion! Thanks to Chuck Munson for bringing up the topic
>of comprehensive subject guides to the Internet and to several others for
>mentioning the Librarians' Index to the Internet (LII).
>
>As original developer of the LII (from my Gopher bookmark list to the
>Berkeley Public Library Index to the Internet to the LII) and now
>coordinator of a project (funded through the California State Library with
>LSTA monies) to expand it, it's time to talk a little about what's coming
>for the Index.
>
>Over the next year we will be expanding the team of librarians contributing
>to the Index, building from a base of interested librarians in California.
>We will be working on several things: a manual for the indexers, training
>workshops, further development of the indexing and searching abilities of
>the database, and expansion of the Index contents. The basic idea is to see
>if librarians can produce AND maintain a directory of Internet resources
>consistently useful to public library information seekers. We will also be
>looking at the financial implications of managing such an effort. Finally,
>if our efforts over the next several months are successful, we will be
>looking at the possibility of recruiting indexers from outside California.
>
>Carole
>
>Carole Leita, cleita at webjunction.org
>Coordinator, Librarians' Index to the Internet
>http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/InternetIndex/

Bess Moffitt		"So many books, so little time."
Assistant Librarian
San Francisco University High School
3065 Jackson St.
San Francisco, CA 94115