E-mail in libraries

Kyle Harriss kharriss at d.umn.edu
Wed May 28 22:38:31 EDT 1997

I find myself agreeing - as I understand his comment - with Jim Hurd:

>Communications and information are becoming increasingly
>inseparable. This is not "mission creep" but the way information exchange
>and dissemination has developed.

I'd like to respond to David Burt's question (directed at Jim):

> Also, you seem to be suggesting that it is OK for our  missions to
> change de facto, in response to changing technology, without conscious
> choice by librarians.  Do you really believe this?

Email servers are popping up that require no client software other than a
web browser.  Web browsers, per se, are being used as a core information
tool.

The information tool is becoming the communications tool.  Refusing to
provide the communications tool means denying patrons access to the
information tool.

It doesn't even matter whether we think it is ok for our mission to go
through a de facto change.

Does anyone really think that networked information and communication
software is moving toward an era of more narrowly focused utility?

Will we be able to supply our patrons with first rate information access
AND restrict them from using the communication features of the same
technology?

I think this genie is out of the bottle.  Either libraries provide the
tools for BOTH information access and communication, or some other
institution must.  It's just a question of where..libraries or ?

Kyle Harriss				kharriss at d.umn.edu
Tech Services 				voice: 218-726-6546
UMD Library				fax:   218-726-8019
Duluth, MN  55812