email in libraries

Reeder Norm Reeder.Norm at mail.ci.torrance.ca.us
Wed May 28 15:14:56 EDT 1997

We considerd allowing e-mail here, but decided against it.  With over
150,000 registered borrowers, we felt we couldn't provide the service
effectively.  What we have told our users is that we can't be their
full service Internet provider.  There are lots of $19.95 per month
accounts out there that also include configuration "help" which we
didn't want to get involved with either.  Yes there are some users who
can't afford that, but in our local community luckily that's not
common.  Therefore we put in our acceptable use policy specific
language asking users not to use e-mail or IRC either.

There are many positive aspects to both sides, but it does come down
to what you can handle at your local site in terms of numbers of PC's
and numbers of users.

Norm Reeder
Library Services Manager
Torrance Public Library
3301 Torrance Blvd
Torrance, CA 90503
310-618-5950
reeder.norm at mail.ci.torrance.ca.us
The views expressed do not necessarily represent the views of the City
of Torrance