Hotmail/Rocketmail Consideration

Ulrich Babiak ubabiak at mail.dom.de
Wed May 28 03:52:19 EDT 1997

I would like to point out an important aspect of services
like hotmail: after we decided to recommend the use of
Hotmail I made a flyer containing not only basic hints on
the service but also  some remarks on privacy and marketing
issues. After all, your mail is on their server, you have to
supply personal data, they even know your POP3 passwords (which are quite
often local login passwords as well) and they could easily
create and market user profiles based on the contents of
the mail people send and receive. So I think patrons should be
made aware of the potential "risk".

 Ulrich Babiak
 Dipl.-Netzer ;-)
 http://www.dom.de/FreiRaum/uli/   -   ubabiak at dom.de