e-mail in libraries

Jim Hurd jhurd at indiana.edu
Thu May 29 16:31:19 EDT 1997

		Excellent points, all.

On Thu, 29 May 1997, jim hewitt wrote:

:
:hear, hear!  except for the fact that the library bureaucracy also has
:the hold on those unfortunate librarians who are trying to make a
:difference, and are trying to truly serve their clientele with an
:appropriate mix of all technologies (remember, books are also a
:technology), with teaching skills that will afford good selection of
:appropriate technologies and tools, and with the knowledge of
:organization of information that is not bound up in proscriptive rules
:but rather is matched to the technology and the researcher...
:
:and if anyone thinks that most librarians (tenured or not) have the
:freedom to go and do their own thing in this, i ask one simple
:question...
:    if we are truly academic departments, where academic freedom and
:flat organizational structures are not only prized but fought hardly
:for, why do we have directors and sub-directors, and a structure that is
:reminiscent of the army, not a bunch of academics?
: