hotmail in libraries

Jack Albrecht coyote7 at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 27 21:36:30 EDT 1997

At the San Diego Public Library, we are pointing patrons to the URL,
but give the patrons a disclaimer stating that the library and library
staff cannot be responsible if HOTMAIL is having problems.  For the
most part, HOTMAIL seems to do well what it aims to do, providing free
e-mail access to those who haven't got regular e-mail accounts.
Usually, I will give the customer the URL for HOTMAIL and will
periodically monitor their progress.  Since I am in a small, busy
library with minimal staff, all Internet and OPAC training is
streamlined.

This is assuming, of course, that they are proficient enough in using
Netscape!  If not, it's my basic 5-minute introduction to the Internet,
or SOMETIMES -- as you all can relate -- a VERY streamlined version of
"welcome to the wonderful world of computing."

Back to the original question -- for my patrons who have success with
HOTMAIL, it's a boon.  Haven't heard too many complaints, except when
it's down, but that's a given!

jack albrecht
san diego public library, kensington branch

Message: 37