Web in Print(sm)

Gerry McKiernan JL.GJM at ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU
Tue May 20 14:49:06 EDT 1997

                   Web in Print(sm)

    While the decision to substitute Web editions of
Reference (and non-Reference) works into a 'local' collection
clearly involves a variety of factors (e.g. suitability, cost,
reliability), I believe that a compendium of individual
works similar to _Books in Print_ can facilitate their
identification and selection.

    I would greatly appreciate learning about the value of
such a compilation to librarians in their efforts to identify
and incorporate such resources within the 'local' collection.
I am currently considering the creation of a clearinghouse
of such titles for both monographic as well as serial works
of a Reference nature. I am aware of such directories as
_On Internet_, but am interested in Web-based service that
would list _only_ Web versions of print publications as well
as Web versions of publications that otherwise would have been
published in print. Of course, I am aware of individual publisher
Web sites and gateways as well.

    I envision this service as a cooperative service between
publishers and librarians which would make known their Web editions
through a listserv and/or the service's homepage. I envision
the service as being a simple registry of Web editions in
alphabetical order by Title only that would be hotlinked to
the resource. Other value-added features could be incorporated
as the service matures. Certainly a corresponding service
could also be created for serial works with Web editions.

    I have contacted Bowker as well as Gale about the inclusion
of such Web editions in their respective compilations of 'books'
and 'databases' but have not yet learned about their policies or
practices. It seems to me that that inclusion of Web editions
in these important directories would be most useful and save
a significant amount of our collective time [and negate the need
to create the service I describe above].
   Again, as always, I'd very much appreciate any thoughts,
reactions, critiques, and most importantly, support for this
proposal.

    I very much appreciate the responses to my recent query
concerning Web substitution of Reference works. The issue raises
a number of concerns that I will summarize and post to appropriate
lists.

   Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)