DOS printing through JetDirect/Novell 4.1 to HP Laserjet?

Beth DeGeer bdeg at bartlesville.lib.ok.us
Fri May 16 04:58:25 EDT 1997

Hi all:

I hope someone can help me.  Our library purchased a "drop in" internet
server and CDROM tower from Ameritech library services/Dynix.  The CDROM
tower has several CDROMS, some of which operate on a Windows 3.1 OS,
some operate on DOS.  We have networked an HP LaserJet 5N printer, using
a Jet Direct card, to the Novell 4.1 network which runs the CDROM
tower.  Our PCs are using Windows for Workgroups 3.11, although Dynix
chose not to enable the WFW networking when they installed the software
on the PCS.

My problem is this:  everything prints to the network printer just fine,
except the DOS-based CDROMS.  I found a "workaround" on HP's website for
a similar configuration, but I have to enable Windows for Workgroups
Networking using an ODI driver.  I have been unsuccessful in my attempts
to do this.  I've tried Tech Support at HP, Novell (they'll help but it
costs $200 per phone call), and Ameritech/Dynix (who won't help because
they didn't install the printer or the individual CDROMS).

I know very little about Novell.  Does anyone have any suggestions as
far as enabling DOS printing, or even who to call next to help with
this?

Thanks for any advice.

Beth DeGeer
bdeg at bartlesville.lib.ok.us