Slanted Web Sites

Chris Hammond-Thrasher cthrashe at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Sat May 10 22:57:24 EDT 1997

jgoldsmi at rainbow.fvrcs.gov.bc.ca (John_Goldsmith) wrote:

>Please excuse the cross posting of this message.
>
>I'm in the process of building a unit on Media/Web literacy.  I need the
>URL's of web sites with slanted, biased, prejudiced and otherwise distorted
>information to use as examples - sites created by, (if they exist), groups
>such as the Klu Klux Klan, the Neo Nazi party, White Supremacy groups, or
>any other extremist organization for example.  If you've come across this
>kind of site (or any other where you felt the information was deliberately
>misleading, slanted or biased), please let me know.
>
>If I get enough sites, I'll mount them on a Web page so others can use them
>in a similar type situation.
>
>Thanks for your help.

Media literacy students may have more to learn from examining the "slanted"
information in corporate web sites or other marketing instruments, as they
generally appear more innocuous at first glance in comparison with the web
pages of more extreme groups.

- Chris Hammond-Thrasher

Christopher John Hammond-Thrasher
School of Library and Information Studies
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
email: cthrashe at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
phone/fax: 403.433.3677