Netscape vs. IExplorer Admin Kits?

Reeder Norm Reeder.Norm at mail.ci.torrance.ca.us
Fri May 9 20:05:31 EDT 1997

There's a large difference in how each works besides price (and
Netscape has a $795 price for libraries for their Admin Kit).  The
Internet Explorer Admin Kit is a "wizard" i.e. you answer "yes" and
"no" to features you want to eliminate or not allow changes to.  It
then creates a setup executable that you can take to each workstation
and install.  Then no changes can be made to the browser (for example
you can't change the homepage, can't define a mail server etc.)

Netscape besides being high in cost, makes you edit "Ini" files; no
wizard, and not easy, though not impossible.  Would have been nice if
they had done a better user friendly job, especially since they are
charging fairly expensively for it.  They obviously have large
corporations in mind who want to install across large networks and set
defaults.

Norm Reeder
Library Services Manager
Torrance Public Library
3301 Torrance Blvd
Torrance, CA 90503
310-618-5950
reeder.norm at mail.ci.torrance.ca.us
The views expressed do not necessarily represent the views of the City
of Torrance