Presentations Advice

Walter Lewis lewisw at hhpl.on.ca
Fri May 9 12:33:14 EDT 1997

Margaret F. Riley wrote:
> I've not tried WebWhacker, but I have seen it used in presentations
> without a connection.  It seems to work if all you want to do is demo
> an entire site.  However, what if you want to run a presentation that
> walks through many sites and demonstrates bits and pieces of each?

The key here is to set up a page or set of pages pointing to your
various targets, and then "whack" your way a couple of layers into the
demonstration targets.

What you *don't* get with this class of utility is the ability to
penetrate beyond "forms", because they can't select the appropriate
values and press the submit button.

Given that most of what I demonstrate is database driven, this leaves me
in a hybrid environment, linking result pages to submit buttons.

Alternatively, when our WinNT databases are involved, I take a Win95/NT
machine with Personal Web Server or IIS along and drive the whole
database demo off the "portable" server. Beats playing Internet roulette
in the presentation room.

Walter Lewis
Deputy Chief/Systems		WebMaster
Halton Hills Public Library	HALINET