Presentations Advice

Margaret F. Riley mfriley at erols.com
Fri May 9 10:24:37 EDT 1997

At 02:38 AM 5/9/97 -0700, Portia123 at aol.com wrote:
>Yes, please send responses re: Web Whacker to the list or summarize. I would
>be quite interested as well.

Thought I would toss in my $.02 here since I abandoned Powerpoint
over a year ago in favor of doing all of my presentations in HTML.

I've not tried WebWhacker, but I have seen it used in presentations
without a connection.  It seems to work if all you want to do is demo
an entire site.  However, what if you want to run a presentation that
walks through many sites and demonstrates bits and pieces of each?

I use the "File/Save As..." command in my web browser to save the
source code of each page I want to use.  Then I go back and grab the
graphics and save those also.  A little tweaking (or in some cases of
really bad HTML, a lotta tweaking), and voila, instant page.

The neat thing is that I can set up the pages to move through my
presentation, starting with my discussion and then moving to examples.
It looks like I am actually executing searches (although they are not
nearly as fancy as the real thing), and users get to experience a real
use of the Internet, not just a bunch of slides in Powerpoint.  In fact,
many attendees think I am online when I am not.  (Let's face it, we
all use the Internet too much to trust it in a presentation.)

Those of you who are cutting web pages into Powerpoint might consider
doing this.  Simple HTML looks pretty good and makes a really cool
impression.  And if my laptop hiccups, I just make some jokes about how
it's just like real life, reboot, laugh about everyone getting to see the "dirty
laundry" on the hard drive, recover my place, and go.

Margaret

Margaret F. Riley, MSLIS            **New Address**
Internet Consultant		 The Riley Guide
3411 University Blvd West #303	 http://www.jobtrak.com/jobguide/
Kensington, MD  20895-1734	 mfriley at erols.com
(301) 946-1917     (301) 946-8877 FAX (please call before faxing)