NCs or X-Terms

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Fri May 9 10:51:29 EDT 1997

Cindi Trainor wrote:

> Are X-terminals or the new, much-hyped Network Computers (NCs) being
> considered for use as locked-down web browsers in any libraries out there?
> I saw a demo of an NC recently, and it didn't come close to meeting the
> expectations I had for it based on articles I had read.
>
> I am very interested--do you think there is a role for these devices in our
> libraries?  There are many issues to consider:
>
> No diskette drive means patrons can't take information away with
>         them easily (recommended solution: supply server space for patrons
>         and have a fully-functional PC nearby with a disk drive to allow
>         downloading).

Tektronix has a version that does support a local floppy.

> The only apps that run locally (currently) are a web browser (plugin and
>         other capabilities unknown), maybe a telnet, and the kernel.

Which device(s) can run local browser?

> Much-touted Java-based productivity apps are still far down the pike, so
>         running such apps (i.e. Word, etc.) requires an NT server with more
>         memory than Methuzela has years (up to 8-12 MB per workstation!)
>         and WinFrame, software that is still only available in the Win 3.x
> interface.

The 4.0 based version of WinFrame is scheduled for June delivery.  I
don't think Java will eliminate the server requirements because
applications run on the server, not the client.  This is the
client-server model.

> The savings (up to 41%, according to Gartner Group) come from the ease of
>         maintenance (no moving parts) and support, not from the initial
>         purchase price.  If this is true, what is the advantage of implementing
>         these over traditional PCs in a server-based, networked environment?

I tend to agree with this:  initial cost may not be much different.
Cost savings will more likely depend on how much of a chore it is to
support distributed computing.  If the comparison is whether to use PCs
or X/ICA terminals in a WinFrame environment, consider this.  Devices
like the Wyse and Tektronix terminals have -no- local compute
capability.  So, even if you simply want to run a browser and connect to
the Internet, you must connect to and consume a session on the WinFrame
server.  Depending on the user community, the cost of a WinFrame server
to support this could make PCs with a local browser more cost effective
than 'inexpensive' terminals.  But you're back to distributed computing.

The ideal device (does it exist?):
--has the ability to run a browser on its own.
--has the ability to run the OPAC client (if it is something other than
browser-based).
--has a floppy for saving information, but not for reading (to deter
viruses).
--can launch applications on an application server such as WinFrame for
applications that are not web-enabled (such as DOS/Windows CDs).
--the entire device can be set for read-only with password access to
change configuration.

What other characteristics should this device have?

--
Dennis Brantley
Data Access Technologies, Inc./CD Solutions
mailto:dennis at dati.com
Voice (770) 339-6554
FAX (770) 682-0629